I enjoy cooking. I even enjoy grocery shopping and looking for the healthiest and most nutrient dense foods. I’ve optimized our grocery shopping by using CSAs (for both meat and vegetables) and Thrive Market so most of groceries are delivered to our doorstep. I’ve improved my prep skills and can dice and chop at a respectable rate. I also batch cook whenever possible to minimize setup and cleanup (why make 1 lb of meatballs when 6 lbs can be made with just a bit more time). But the thing is…meal planning and cooking still takes up a ton of time!
As much as I enjoy cooking, it takes away time from family, training, and career. Another major consideration for me is that the kitchen in our new house isn’t open to the living area so I’m completely isolated from the family when I’m cooking and cleaning up. As much as I want to have healthy meals on hand at all times, the reality is that making them isn’t my top priority.
Unfortunately, since I’m in charge of the household meal planning, when cooking doesn’t make the priority list we don’t have meals readily available. This causes one of two things to happen…and usually both 1) we succumb to takeout which can be expensive and usually isn’t healthy (especially when we give into those comfort food cravings when life is crazy) and 2) a hangry wife (NO BUENO!)
As a result, I’ve been trying to find a good meal solution service for the times when cooking won’t fit on the task list. Outsourcing low priority, but essential tasks, can be a great investment. When I factor in meal planning, grocery shopping, prep, cooking, and cleanup, the time element of making meals adds up quickly no matter how much I have optimized the process.
In true accounting/finance nerd fashion, I think about it like this:
If the meal solution service price < my food cost + value of my time – my enjoyment factor, it is worthwhile to outsource.
My time value and enjoyment factor can vary week-to-week depending on the size of the task list (and what comes in our CSA box) so I don’t always want out outsource our meals.
Armed with my equation, I’ve looked into a couple of different meal solution services but they have all had two main issues:
- They don’t live up to my food quality standards and I refuse to sacrifice quality for convenience.
- They require a subscription so I would be getting and paying meals even if the equation parameters haven’t been met.
I’ve FINALLY found a solution…Fitzee Foods!
Fitzee Foods is the best solution I’ve found for the following reasons:
- Their meat quality is top notch (grass fed beef, free range chicken, nitrate and hormone free turkey)
- They have meals for all types of dietary preferences (paleo, gluten free, low carb, vegetarian, etc.) so I can easily find meals that have the ratio of protein, fat, and carbs I need depending on my training volume.
- There is no subscription so I can ensure I’m maximizing my value equation.
- The meals come in different sizes so we can easily eat different things if we can’t agree on what to have.. S/M sizes are great to bring to work for lunches and L/XL sizes are perfect for family dinner.
- The containers are oven and microwave safe so there is literally zero clean up time.
- Their customer service is outstanding.
- Not least of all…they are delicious!
I now keep a handful (or two or three) of Fitzee meals on hand at all times. Ever since I started using Fitzee Foods I have far less stress about meal planning, I have been able to spend more time with my less hangry wife, and I’ve been able to sneak in an extra training session or two during the week.
Fitzee Foods is based in San Diego which makes it extra convenient for me but they also ship nationwide. They are going to be a fridge & freezer staple for a long time to come!